Saturday 19 December 2009

More wintery silliness

Not content with cycling home in a blizzard on Thursday, the diary had "run home" in it for Friday afternoon, so off I went to work with my running stuff in a carrier bag and a slight feeling of dread.  Not just because of the thought of running home across 4" snow, but because the diary also had "Christmas Lunch - Aagrah Shipley" in it.  In the end we went to the Aagrah, I had too many starters as usual but missed out on pudding, so felt full but not stuffed.  Back to work to let it settle for half an hour then about 2:45 I set off home.  I used the canal towpath as far as the end of Riddlesden Golf Course, then cut down onto the lane that takes the cycle route.

This was slippy but much more pleasant than the uneven towpath, and cut down below the canal to leave me in the middle of Silsden, where I ran over the hill to Kildwick and Farnhill - this was easier than I'd expected, having only cycled along that road and remembering it as a very big hill.  Definitely a route to take in future rather than swearing at the muddy canal bank.  Dropped onto the main road at Cononley lane end and ran home through town.

Got home after 1:50, 14 miles in the bank and an average pace of just under 8min miles, which given the conditions is fine.  I also felt I had a few more miles in my legs, but as I was out on the beer (and more curry...) I decided against it.

Weekend off looks likely, as today was hangover day and we're of for a family day out tomorrow, so unless the day dawns bright and sunny I'll probably give it a miss tomorrow too.  The weather looks snowy for the next few days, so not sure whether my bike will be getting any action, but I'll be back to running again from Monday.

Interesting point about the run yesterday was that I'd forgotten my Garmin so thought I had no way of recording my run, but then I remembered I'd bought an app called Rubitrack for my iPhone, so decided to give that a bash.  It worked perfectly - even from in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment