Tuesday 8 December 2009

Lumps and bumps

Checked my Garmin readout for yesterday's ride home from work, and was fascinated to see that our lumpy way home has slightly more ascent than the whole of our 28m ride including Halton Heights and Carleton Moor on Sunday in half the distance.  Blimey.

My birthday today, so I bought lots of M&S cakey things on the way in and ate lots of them this morning at work (justifying it by also eating a posh M&S clementine as well).  then at lunchtime me and Rich went out for what we hoped would be a mud-free version of our hilly lunchtime run.

The flat bit along the canal was quite brisk, with the watch showing a 7:30 pace or quicker, and both of us were concerned that the hills, when they came, would be a killer.  The first one is a bit of a beast, and last time I did this route it was with Rob Thackray, ex-pro cyclist and fit lad.  A bit of unspoken willy-waving occurred as we both upped the pace without ever looking like we were actually trying.  Anyway today Rich and I ran on opposite sides of the road and I reached the top feeling ok - Rich confessed he was absolutely goosed - 1-0 to me!  The rest of the route was an alternative to the normal off road section, and it proved to be really good - a flat section followed by another testing climb.  Good stuff.

6.2m in 47mins odd - averaging 7:42, which is very respectable given 600' of ascent in 6 miles.

Out for birthday tea with the family tonight, so undid all the good work by eating a burger and drinking a beer or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment