Saturday 26 December 2009

A boxing day duathlon

Having pretty much jacked in multi-sport events, one of the 3 or 4 that I'll probably continue to do is the Kildwick Duathlon.  Run by our near neighbours Keighley and Craven AC this is a low key, fun event that always runs on Boxing Day, but also at other times in the year.

Having eaten quite a lot but drunk very little yesterday I was on reasonable form when I woke up, so by 10.30 me and my bike were down at Kildwick waiting for someone else to show up.  I went for my normal "where does the run go" recce to the canal bridge to find it absolute sheet ice, and spent a very wobbly few minutes trying to get over it.

In the end the course was changed, with the bike leg being 5.5m instead of the usual 10m, and the run taking a slightly longer route to cross the canal before running up the fell to go round Farnhill Pinnacle.

I was (in my opinion) drawn rather higher than my ability deserves about 5 from the back (they go off in reverse order of expected finish time) and thoroughly expected to be passed somewhere on the ride by a speedy person.  As it was I passed a couple myself and held off my pursuers.  My transition was a bit ropey, but I set off on the run with a few people to chase.  My mate Steve was just doing the run section, so he gave me someone to follow who knew the way, and I caught a few folk on the run as well, and was just passed by the eventual winner half a mile before the finish.

Back tot he pub for a welcome pint of Landlord and a chinwag with a few folk, and when the results were passed round I was surprised to see I'd come 3rd - so a podium finish (albeit in a very small field) and a nice sharpener for the Ribble Valley 10k tomorrow.

No idea what to expect tomorrow - I'm definitely half a stone over fighting weight, and haven't done a huge amount of running recently, certainly no speed work.  We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment