Thursday 17 December 2009

Brrrrrr!!

Cycle commute day today.  Got up expecting to see everything crispy and white, but there was no frost, just a wet road and a slightly chilly breeze.  Once I'd got going it was definitely cold though, but with a buff pulled up round my ears and my new Alpkit headtorch on my helmet I was ok.  My hands got really cold though - K bought me some softshell gloves for my birthday, but my finger ends were very cold riding through Skipton.  Not the quickest ride to work with an average speed of just over 18mph (we often average over 20mph in the summer) but this was riding on my own on wet roads.

The snow started about lunchtime, and after a slightly worried call from Karen this afternoon to tell me it was settling in Embsay, and a later meeting than I would have liked I got away about 5:25 in quite heavy snowfall.  It was settling on the pavements but the roads were clear, although there was half an inch of slushy stuff in the sides, so I rode a bit further out than usual.  The drivers of Keighley were maybe more tolerant of this idiot cycling in a blizzard as I got no abuse, nor any near misses.

A slow ride home, along the valley as I wasn't even contemplating going home over the tops, and I arrived home covered in snow to be called an idiot by my darling wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment