Monday 7 December 2009

Biking with sore legs

Determined to get a bike commute in this week, and today was the only day I could do.  Duly picked The Herb up at 0730 and set off down the valley towards Crossflatts.  Earlier in the year I always seemed to be training tired, as my legs got used to doing stuff regularly again, and this morning I had that feeling again for the first time in ages.  Presumably a result of 16m on Friday and a hardish ride yesterday (and being a tad fatter than I'd like).

Really felt like I was struggling on the first part of the ride, until Herb came past to take his turn on the front and then I realised what the problem was - monster headwind!  It was one of those winds that really take it out of you on the front and that makes the drafting bit of the ride a relative pleasure.

More idiots than usual on the way in, including a 4x4 blaring its horn at us for having the audacity to ride 2 abreast on the widest section of road imaginable, and we got in to work in one of the slowest times since last winter.

We came home the lumpy way, with my new Hope lights doing the business.  Very slow, but I think that's par for the course now as we can't get anywhere near as much speed up on the descents as we can in daylight, and both our brakes seem to be becoming less effective as the pads get gunked up.  No matter - another 27 miles in the bank, and the monthly total's already at 55!

No comments:

Post a Comment