Wednesday 24 March 2010

Comeback #2 - slowly but surely...



John Fizzy again today, and he didn't seem terribly surprised that my calf was stiff after Monday's exertions, so much to my surprise he didn't say "told you so!" and ban me from running for another fortnight.  He gave me some massage and my calf a bit of hammer - when he pushed his knuckle right in there's still a tender bit, but it's getting ever more localised and harder to hurt - so things are on the mend.

He also gave me clearance to run again today, so after work I went off on my own up to the canal again.  It was much busier, which I s'pose is to be expected as the evenings get lighter, and after a mile or so I found myself pain free and moving at about 7:25 pace.  I pushed on a wee bit (nothing silly, y'understand) and ran a 7:24 and a 7:17.  The only niggles were further up in my laft calf, and nowhere near the injury, so then I knocked out a 6:50 (my old MP - ah, the nostalgia...) and a 7:03 before slowing right down for the last mile.  In the end 6 miles at an average of 7:19 - respectable, certainly.

If I'm honest by the time I finished the calf was quite tight where the injury was, but nothing too serious, and as I type now it's just a bit achy.

So - John seems to think this is expected, so I'll just have to ease back in - hopefully a steady run at Coniston on Saturday will qualify as "easing back in", then I'll see John again Monday to get any niggles ironed out.

Ive decided not to push my luch, so if I get through Coniston ok that'll be it for longer runs - little and often with a bike ride or two for a bit of stamina.

I'm feeling about 7/10 about the 3:15 - the speedier miles tonight didn't feel hard at all (HR averaged 137 and was around 145 for the pacier bits).

Still - we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment