Wednesday 31 March 2010

Better and better...

Having given my calf 3 days off I decided to see how it was today - if only to give the doctor something to look at tonight.  Went out at lunchtime as we had some diary movement and ran half a mile up to the canal nice and slow then sped up to my new MP of 7:20ish for 5 miles.  HR was very steady away at 140 or less, and the pace felt very gentle.  Half a mile of warm-down back to work saw me do 6 miles in 44 mins with an average HR of 136.

My legs were stiff - but this time it was in both legs and a result of running further and harder than for ages at the weekend.  My hurty calf hardly entered the equation.  Both achilles were a bit tight, so I'll have to keep an eye on that, but overall it felt much more like I'm on the mend.


Went to see the GP about getting a referral to Martyn tonight, but he said as it seems to be on the mend more physio may be better, so in the end I'm going back to see John Fizzy for a couple more sessions before and after Blackpool.

So - assuming all goes ok I think I'll be disappointed not to be in sub-3 shape, as I certainly was going that way 6 weeks ago, but very relieved and grateful to be coming to the end of this injury in time to hopefully enjoy a comfortable 3:15 or less at Blackpool.  I did play around with what the time would have to be to allow me to speed up and still chase sub-3.  I think if we go through half way in the low 1:30's (which we shouldn't unless conditions are absolutely perfect - 1:32 is 7 min pace, and we're aiming for 15 secs slower than that) then I might see how I feel at 16 and 20 and then maybe decide to throw the kitchen sink at it, but to be honest I'd rather cruise through half way in 1:35 and then run a 1:30 second half with a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment