Wednesday 3 March 2010

No tears before bedtime...



That's tears as in rips - my calf isn't torn or even tweaked - it's the membrane between the two calf muscles that's irritated.  Not half as irritated as I was when Mike the Fizzy told me cheerfully that it'll be fine in 5 or 6 weeks.

Take a look at that countdown thingy to the left.  5 weeks Sunday.  Arse.

However - he was almost insistent that I start running again, gently and only slowly at first, but he says that running will actually help the muscles get used to the movement again.  The problem is that there's an imbalance between the Soleus and the Gastrocnemius muscles in my calf.  We also decided it may well have been because I adapted my running style slightly because of the snow underfoot in the early part of the Blackpool race.  Double arse.

Because it's an irritation and not a tear there's no risk of me doing it serious damage by running on it, but I need to build up again, and back off if there's any pain. So I think the plan will be to run Friday, maybe 5 miles and see how it goes.  Trimpell may not be a goer a week on Sunday, but I think I'll target a 20 miler the weekend of 20 March - and then run Coniston as a LSR with 7 or 8 m of MP at the end.

If I can't manage those then I can't see Blackpool being a goer - but to be fair I always entered Blackpool with the mantra that if I wasn't right, I wouldn't do it.  Triple arse.

No comments:

Post a Comment