Sunday 14 March 2010

Decisions, decisions...

Got an email tonight offering me a place in Edinburgh marathon on 23 May.  I really can't decide what to do - it'd give me another 6 weeks to get ready, so if I had another fortnight off I could theoretically do 4 more long runs and have a decent taper.  However if I can run Blackpool and can run 3:15 then that's the marathon thing done for this year and I can get on with riding my bike and running shorter races.

If I were to swap over to Edinburgh it'd mean dropping out of the Etape du Dales and probably not racing Leeds Half or the John Carr races - but of course it would mean I'd be more like to run sub-3 than I am at Blackpool.

The real dilemma is not knowing what shape I'll be in and I won't know that until I'm able to start running again - which if it's another 10 days won't give me long to find out.  It'd be frustrating to throw my eggs in the Edinburgh basket only to find I knock out a 20 miler in sub-2:30 the same weekend, but it'd be equally maddening to go for Blackpool and run 3:20 - although I guess at a push I could still do Edinburgh.

I think that's the plan - keep pushing on for Blackpool but keep Edinburgh in reserve in case of accidents - and of course I've still got my Abingdon entry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment