Thursday 4 March 2010

Experiment.

After Mike telling me that I could start to run again slowly (and furious internet trawling to get more information, where the only thing of note I found was that after 10 days the injury will be as strong as the surrounding injury - but sadly I think that related to calf muscle tears) I decided, as the weather was absolutely glorious today, to have a go.

I pulled on my new compression socks (don't tell anyone) and set off about 5 o'clock - in full daylight.

All was fine and dandy up to Halton East, so then I got a bit cocky and carried on to the 3m mark.  No pain, nor even tightness to speak of.  Back to Halton East, and then at the 5 mile mark I finally felt a bit of pain.  Not enough to stop me, and it may even have eased off a bit, but a sign that I'm not right yet.  And why should I be?  Mike said 5 or 6 weeks - which would mean still 3 weeks away at least.

However - 6m done, at 8min pace which was very comfortable.  Unless it's pain free tomorrow afternoon (and it's a bit achy now) I'm going to leave it til Saturday and then try again - if I can keep getting 5 or 6 miles in three times a week for a couple of weeks without it regressing then i should hopefully be able to build up again for a couple of weeks before tapering down for a fortnight.

All may not be lost!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear your training is disrupted.
    I think your strategy is right to keep experimenting if you can't do any further damage. EVERY runner I've ever known who has gone to a physio has been told "it'll be fine in 5 or 6 weeks" (nice work if you can get it?).

    Everyone is different and there is no reason why you can't keep your fitness up whilst it fully recovers. Your MP speed and general endurance will not disappear in the next 6 weeks.

    ReplyDelete