Friday 5 March 2010

Desperate measures for a desperate man...

Well after yesterday's 6m trial, which I was fairly pleased with, I awoke this morning to find my calf not sore, but a bit stiff going downstairs.  I had the afternoon off, and as I alternated looking out of the window at the gorgeous weather and my diary with "24m LR" in it I started to feel a touch frustrated.

Why me?  I've built up slowly, generally haven't overdone it, done the slow miles as well as the hard sessions.  It's possible I did one hardish session too many the week of the half, and the combination of race shoes and slippy snow may have caused the problem, but overall I think I've been fairly careful.

Anyway - what's done is done, and what's needed now is damage limitation.  Took my calf out for a declared slow no-more-than 2 miler this afternoon instead of the planned 24 miler, and it got tight and quite painful after about a mile and a half - so it's clear Something Must Be Done.

Rang the Yorkshire Clinic and booked in for an intial assessment on Monday morning followed by 5 sessions of physio (if that's what it takes) - £130 but if they can get me training again and more importantly on the start line with a chance of running somewhere remotely to my potential it'll be money well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment