Monday 22 March 2010

Comeback run...or is it?

John Fizzy again this morning, where he attempted to make my calf hurt through a variety of fiendish practices, including having me hopping up and down a karrimat, doing heel drops off the edge of a vibrating table and then running at 12kph (I know it's not very fast but it felt it) - no pain.  He passed me "fit to run" - so run I did, at lunchtime.




Good news:  it felt fine, and the middle two miles of our four were at about 7:20 pace and it felt easy peasy - HR down at 125-130, easy breathing, legs felt fine.

Bad news:  it started to feel stiff towards the end and four hours later my achilles and calf feels definitely tight - not painful, and hopping etc doesn't make it worse, so I'm hoping against hope this is just a reaction to running again after four weeks off - but to be honest I'm not sure if it is.  I may try again tomorrow or I may give it another day - but I think I have to try again by Wednesday (when I'm seeing John again).  If I can come throught that and manage Coniston without conking out then I think 3:15 is definitely a goer - I may even be tempted not to run much (if at all) between now and Coniston as biking and the mileage I have done seems to be maintaining my fitness (despite the 6lbs I seem to have put on) - but if not then I think I'll just have to leave marathon training til at least the autumn or maybe even take a chance on the ballot or a club place for next year's London.

1 comment:

  1. Don't lose hope yet - I'm sure after so little running that everything is going to feel a bit odd when you start again. Why not leave it till Wednesday to give yourself an extra day for your body to re-adjust to running again?

    ReplyDelete